Friday, 4 July 2014

So unfortunate

The other day I came across a website run by a British person teaching English in Japan.

On one article I spotted a comment left by a Japanese woman which I found was rather funny, although it was very unfortunate for the woman.

She was asking about the meaning and correct usage of the phrase "How's it going?"
It appears that she actually does understand its meaning, but didn't know how to respond to it when the question was posed to her during a chit-chat with a Canadian man.

The conversation (as it appears in her comment) was as follows:

The Canadian Man "Hows it going?"
The Japanese Woman "I'm coming."
The Canadian Man "Take your time. I'm busy. I just asked how's it going."

After this she writes, "What did he mean by it? I thought he was asking me about my current situation, but was I wrong? Please enlighten me."

When I read that, I was like "OH. MY. GOD."

Poor woman. I felt so embarrassed for her.  

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh myyy...(in george takei's voice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha it's funny how these misunderstandings occur in the communication between foreigners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I find this cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems sweet and doesn't quite get what was going on but really wants to make sure she communicated properly. I think I just find women out of sorts over something cute :P

      Delete
    2. haha yeah such women are cute :)

      Delete
  4. lol... hope that canadian man doesn't think what i'm thinking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what he said I think he was thinking what we are thinking! XD

      Delete