Saturday, 28 December 2013

Dorothy Parker's Poems

I love Dorothy Parker's humorous poems.

The Choice (source)

He'd have given me rolling lands,
Houses of marble, and billowing farms,
Pearls, to trickle between my hands,
Smoldering rubies, to circle my arms.
You- you'd only a lilting song,
Only a melody, happy and high,
You were sudden and swift and strong-
Never a thought for another had I.

He'd have given me laces rare,
Dresses that glimmered with frosty sheen,
Shining ribbons to wrap my hair,
Horses to draw me, as fine as a queen.
You- you'd only to whistle low,
Gayly I followed wherever you led.
I took you, and I let him go-
Somebody ought to examine my head! 

------------------------------------
You think it's yet another boringly typical romantic poem, until you get to the last line :D



Resumé (source)

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

------------------------------------
Tried and Tested.
Poems like this one speak louder than just saying something lame like "oh it's just wrong to commit suicide. Don't do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment